This recipe was inspired by a conversation between clinical researcher, Dr Neal Barnard, and Rich Roll of The Rich Roll Podcast. Rich Roll is an ultra-endurance athlete, wellness advocate and bestselling author. The Rich Roll Podcast delves deep into all things wellness with some of the most forward thinking, paradigm busting minds. In this episode, Dr Neal Barnard talks about what foods can help with balancing out your hormones, helping with fertility, weight loss and sleep, among other things. Dr Neal Barnard notes some specific things you can do to balance out your sleep hormones, such as avoiding coffee and alcohol, exercising your muscles before bed time, intentionally stretching and yawning four times before going to bed, and eating a carb-heavy dinner, such as pasta, to help with serotonin production.
UTENSILS YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 food processor
- 2 large pots
- 1 strainer
BOLOGNESE INGREDIENTS (SERVING FOR FOUR):
- 1 cup of brewed green tea (leaves removed, but saving a few to add to bolognese sauce)
- 1 handful of beef mince, 1 handful of pork mince and 1 handful of veal mince (substitute with cooked brown lentils if you want a vegetarian alternative)
- 1 large jar of tomato puree (can be pre-mixed with herbs)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks of celery, coarse outer layer peeled off
- 1 crushed large clove of garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried Italian herbs
- salt to taste
- olive oil for frying
SPAGHETTI INGREDIENTS & COOKING METHOD:
Boil 1 packet of gluten-free spaghetti in green tea liquor (8 to 10 grams of green tea leaves to every litre of water, then remove leaves once sufficiently steeped). Add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder to tea liquor for extra health benefits.
BOLOGNESE COOKING METHOD:
1. In food processor, mince up onion, carrot, celery and garlic finely. Transfer to a pot and fry on a medium-to-high heat until soft.
3. Add beef mince, pork mince and veal mince to pot and fry on a high heat until cooked through.
4. Add remaining ingredients, stir and bring to a boil on a high heat. Once at boiling point, bring the temperature down to a low heat and simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve spaghetti bolognese with a side of herbs to munch on, such as basil, chives and coriander.