This recipe was inspired by an episode of Shawn Stevenson's The Model Health Show podcast. Shawn Stevenson is a fitness and nutrition expert who used food as medicine to cure his "incurable" spinal disease and went on to launch The Model Health Show to inspire others to use food to solve their own health challenges. In this episode, Shawn talks about the surprising health benefits of ginger. A meta-analysis published in the 'International Journal of Preventative Medicine' in 2013 found that phytonutrients in ginger have significant antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. There was even research documented finding that there was significant anti-cancer properties in ginger as well. Ginger can also be effective at alleviating some types of nausea and vomiting, especially related to pregnancy and also following surgeries due.
UTENSILS YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 jar with lid
- 1 small sieve
INGREDIENTS PER GLASS:
- 3/4 cup of brewed red tea (known as black tea in the West)
- 2 teaspoons of dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 slice of ginger
- 1 egg white
- honey to taste
- ice cubes
1. Mix all ingredients together, except for the egg white. Leave to steep until cooled down.
2. Once cooled, strain tea liquor into jar using small sieve, then add egg white.
3. Close lid tightly and shake vigorously for one minute.
4. Put ice cubes in cup and pour in frothed tea. Sprinkle stiffened egg whites with toppings of your choice.